My Hospital Intiative and being in Miss Earth Canada

Here is my Miss Earth specific blog http://nerdatmissearth.blogspot.com/ The official site for Miss Earth Canada is www.rosotro.com

Check out the Borama Fistula Hospital, Amoud University Medical School and the nursing programme at Borama General Hospital @ madbakh-women-international.org : why I am started this!!!
http://www.beautiesofcanada.com/2010/


Sunday, August 1, 2010

Fashion Design

  • I am now taking sewing/couture lessons at Darrell Thomas. My instructor is phenomenal, has a great understanding of couture. Meanwhile Darrell Thomas has an exquisite boutique collection of couture fabrics. It is like being in a candy-store. I linger around the fabric store near the class gawking at fabrics until they tell me, sorry, we are closing.

I am leaning fashion design to learn what it takes to make a garment. I hope that combined with micro-credit, sewing machines are the new women's liberation for in developing countries. An example would be in Somalia, at the Borama National Fistula Hospital's micro-credit program. I am trying my best to understand this very practical skill, and teach it to others. I wrote my thesis on micro-finance. We give micro-credit for women to learn a skill and start a business that can be marketable internationally... but what skill besides finance could I teach them. A skill that is practical and needed everywhere. Answer: Sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment